Instead of starting to daydream about getting your dream job, why not spend those precious five minutes making yourself more employable and landing your dream job. No matter what stage you are in your career, having a strong LinkedIn profile can help you be discovered for new opportunities such as jobs, business leads and mentorship.
These five easy steps from the guys at LinkedIn themselves show you just how easy and quick it is to build a strong profile that will really help you stand out from the crowd.
- Start with a professional photo: Smile! Remember that a photo is your first handshake with a potential employer. Simply having a profile photo results in up to 21 times more profile views, 36 times more messages and nine times more connection requests.
- Include your location: It may seem simple, but you are 23 timesesmore likely to be discovered for local opportunities if you include your location.
- Write a summary that stands out: Consider listing your specialty and speaking directly to your audience. If you want your profile to be searchable, include important keywords but avoid using words that are overused such as specialized, experienced and expert. Try to keep your headline to a maximum of 10 words – And you can keep it simple and say`Marketing & Communications Professional’.
- Be sure to add previous roles and keep your work history relevant: You do not need to list every single job you ever had. Instead, only list the jobs that are relevant to your current career goals. Keeping your current position up-to-date also helps tell your professional story and profiles with a full job history get 12 x more profile views
- Feature examples of your work: Upload videos, presentations and images to showcase great work you have done previously so future employers can get an idea of your experience before they even meet you,